Opening Session - "How Creativity Drives the Economy of Houston"
The creative industries play a major role in building and sustaining economically vibrant communities. Cultural organizations as but one example provide jobs and generate government revenue and are the cornerstone of tourism and community/urban revitalization. In the Opening Plenary we will examine What is the role of public policy in building a sustainable creative economy? We also will examine how government and the creative industries can work together to make Houston both innovative and livable. With a shared vision of economic growth, cultural institutions and other players can actively support the broader community's goals.
A panel discussion featuring creative and civic leaders on how Houston is and is not capitalizing on the region's and Houston’s creative assets. Experts will help us examine, in depth, the following topics:
• Houston's Creative Core
• Understanding Houston's Creative Economy: What does Houston offer in terms of an environment conducive to creative work?
• Supportive Infrastructure: Universities, philanthropic institutions, unions and trade associations, suppliers and distributors
• Spotlight on Government Agencies
• Show Stoppers: Challenges to the Creative Sector
• Learning from Other Cities